6 Idaho baking potatoes, 8 ounces each, peeled and quartered
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) of unsalted butter, at room temperature plus 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine
2/3 cup of milk heated
1/3 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
a pinch of ground nutmeg
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons of Italian flat-leaf parsley, minced (optional)
1/3 cup of fine bread crumbs
a sprinkling of paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat slightly and cook until the potatoes are tender (20 to 30 minutes). Drain the potatoes, return them to the saucepan, and shake the pan over low heat to remove the remaining moisture (10 to 15 seconds).
- Transfer the potatoes to a mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer.
Begin mashing with the electric mixer or by hand, and add the butter, hot milk. Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt. Pepper and parsley. Continue beating until smooth; make sure there are no lumps
- Grease a 9-inch ovenproof pie dish with 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly in the dish. Sprinkle with the
breadcrumbs and paprika.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is brown. Cut into wedges and serve.
TIP: This recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated until baking time.