Traditional Neapolitan Pizza with
Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella and Basil
YIELD: Topping is enough for one 16" diameter round pizza or one 15 x 13" rectangular pizza, or 4 individual 8" diameter pizzas
Recipe from Festa del Giardino by Sally Maraventano
1 recipe pizza dough
2 cups of tomato sauce (see recipe)
8 ounces of fresh mozzarella, sliced or shredded
3 to 4 leaves of fresh basil, torn
a drizzling of extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spray the bottom of the pan with olive oil spray.
- Stretch the dough to fit the pan.
- Spread the tomato sauce on the dough, top with the cheeses and basil.*
- Drizzle with the olive oil.
- Bake on the lowest rack of the oven for 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
*Fresh tomatoes can also be used. Slice the tomato thinly and place on the pizza in place of the sauce, before topping with cheese and basil.
Variation for Pizza al Salsicce - Pepperoni Pizza
Replace fresh mozzarella with 8 ounces of shredded low moisture whole or skim milk mozzarella. Top with 4 ounces of pepperoni thinly sliced. Follow method above to bake.