2 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 tablespoons of shallots, finely chopped
5 – 6 ounces of prosciutto or rosemary ham, shredded
1 cup of light or heavy cream
1 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Few grindings of fresh nutmeg
8 ounce package of frozen tiny peas, cooked
1 pound of fettuccine
- In a large skillet (large enough to hold a pound of pasta), melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the shallots, shredded prosciutto. Sauté for 2 – 3 minutes, until the shallots are soft and translucent.
- Add the cream and bring to a gentle boil to thicken it slightly. Remove the skillet from the heat and reserve.
- Meanwhile, cook the fettuccine in 5 – 6 cups of boiling water to which 2 tablespoons of salt has been added just until almost al dente The pasta will continue to cook in the sauce later.
- Drain the pasta thoroughly. Add the fettuccine to the skillet with the sauce.
- Place the skillet over medium heat and stir gently but thoroughly to coat the pasta with the sauce.
- Add half of the Parmesan cheese and gently toss the fettuccine using two forks.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the cooked peas. Again, mix the ingredients gently but thoroughly. Serve immediately, passing the remaining Parmesan cheese.