2 cups of mascarpone cheese
grated zest of three lemons (yellow only)
juice of three lemons
2 cups of heavy whipping cream
¾ cups of sugar
36-48 ladyfingers OR 1 pound cake sliced into ½ slices
½ cup of limoncello
zest from three lemons for garnish
raspberries and powdered sugar, if desired
- In a large bowl beat together the mascarpone, lemon zest and lemon juice until well blended.
- In a separate cold metal medium size bowl, with a hand held mixer, beat the whipping cream and sugar until peaks start to form. Then with a rubber spatula gently fold in the mascarpone cheese mixture until well blended. Do not over mix.
- Arrange one layer of lady fingers (or pound cake) in the bottom of a 10 x 10 inch baking or serving dish, (or dish of similar size)
- Pour the limoncello into a bowl and with a pastry brush lightly brush the ladyfingers with the limoncello.
- Spread1/2 of the cream on top of the ladyfingers, than spread a second layer of ladyfingers, brush with the limoncello and then cover completely with the remaining cream and chill overnight.
- When ready to serve, grate additional lemon zest on top and add fruit and powdered sugar, if desired.
Note: Taste the cream before you assemble. If you would like additional flavor, add extra lemon zest.