5 to 6 cups of Vegetable Broth
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cups of arborio rice
1 cup of dry white wine
1 ounce of dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup of lukewarm water for 10-15 minutes
1/ 8 teaspoon of saff ron, powdered or threads (optional)
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2/3 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat the broth in a three - quart saucepan to a simmer. Dissolve the saff ron in 1 cup of the broth and set aside.
Saute the onion in the butter in a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven until soft and translucent (about 3 minutes). Add the rice and stir until coated. Stir in the wine and cook until it evaporates (about 3 minutes).
3. Add 1/2 cup of broth and stir; repeat the process for about 10 minutes.
Drain the porcini, reserving the soaking liquid. Strain the liquid through two layers of cheese cloth to remove grit. Chop the porcini coarsely, and add to the rice along with the strained soaking liquid.
5. Stir in the saff ron mixture, salt and pepper.
6. Continue adding broth and stirring after each addition for another 10 minutes or so, until the rice is al dente.
7. When the rice is evenly colored by the saff ron, stir in the Parmesan cheese. Transfer to a warm serving bowl and serve immediately.