1 cup pinoli nuts
8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 extra-large eggs
3 3/4 cups flour
pinch of salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
3 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves,
This recipe was shown by Sally on "The Exchange" in honor of National Herb Month.
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Toast pinoli nuts on a baking sheet for 8 minutes.
3. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Mix flour, salt, baking powder pinoli nuts and chopped rosemary in a bowl.
5. With an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla and lemon zest.
7. On low speed, add the dry ingredients until a soft batter is formed.
8. Divide the dough into three parts. Dip your hand in flour and knead the dough into a long strip, 1 inch thick and 10 to 12 inches long. Place on
parchment-lined baking sheet. Pat the strip to make it slightly flat. Use the rest of the dough to make two more strips. For larger biscotti, form only two strips.
9. Bake logs for 25 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven. Slice each log into 1/2 inch salices on the diagonal. Stand slices up on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Re-bake biscotti at
350° for 15-20 minutes. Cool and store in air-tight container.